POSITION #: 5018
DEPARTMENT: Information Technology
The University of New Orleans is looking for an individual to fill the position of Network Engineer.
In this role, you will be responsible for designing, implementing, maintaining, documenting and supporting the University's network.
The Network Engineer position reports to the Manager of Enterprise Networking.
The ideal candidate will possess excellent attention to detail, analytical skills, problem-solving expertise, and the ability to quickly learn new technologies.
- 50% Administration and installation of network systems required to build and maintain the campus enterprise network consisting of over 500 switches, 400 APs and the network core. This position will be directly responsible for the stability and integrity of data, VoIP, and video services on the campus network. Reports to Enterprise Networks Manager.
- 30% Network problem resolution for campus network systems, including analysis, troubleshooting and solution implementation.This includes network connectivity, performance, and security issues for wired and wireless networks.
- 10% Participation in strategic network planning, steady-state operations planning, and development of contingency operation plans.
- 5% Maintenance of documentation and provide end user training, where required, in support of network support activities.
- 5% Assisting Enterprise Networks management with special projects. Additional duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's Degree, or in lieu of a degree, 6 years of comparable work experience in an enterprise information systems environment, including a minimum of 4 years of direct experience in network engineering and /or enterprise network support
- Ability to configure and manage: Cisco L2 and L3 switches and/or Ruckus L2 and L3 switches, and other related product lines -- including network core electronics, APs and firewalls and also active directory, MAC filtering and authentication, network firewalls, and Windows DHCP server
- Demonstrates the ability to learn new technology
- Possesses problem determination, resolution skills and strong analytical skills
Experience configuring and maintaining:
- Cisco Client Series switches, Ruckus 71XX, 74XX, 76XX, 77XX Series switches
- Palo Alto Firewalls 5220
- Complete understanding of ACL Network Security, Spanning Tree, IP Routing, Port Channels-Aggregate connections
- Port Mirroring (SPAN), Access Port Edge Protection, Fiber Optic Modules- GBIC, Xenpac, X2 SFP, PoE and Firmware upgrades
- Netflow management
- Experience with a least one of the following Network Management Applications/Appliances: Cloudpath, SolarWinds, SmartPath and Cisco Prime
- CCNA certification or other recognized network certification(s)
SALARY: Commensurate with experience
Please apply through the UNO website at
Position listed as NETWORK ENGINEER Information Technology
(Job ID #5018).
Location/Region: New Orleans, LA (70148)