DIRECTOR OF JUVENILE SERVICES
Jefferson Parish is seeking a dynamic, highly motivated leader who can work effectively and collaboratively with the Parish Administration, Jefferson Parish Council, Jefferson Parish Juvenile Court and the Louisiana Office of Juvenile Justice, as well as other Local, State and Federal governmental agencies and public officials. The director of the Department of Juvenile Services is tasked with overseeing the rehabilitation of troubled youth in Jefferson Parish. This involves the supervision of the juvenile assessment and intake center, evaluation and treatment services, and probation supervision. The Director supervises approximately 130 employees and oversees an annual operating budget of approximately sixteen million dollars.
The Director’s duties and responsibilities include but is not limited to the following:
- Hires and trains personnel, assigns tasks and projects; monitors field work; evaluates employee work performance; approves salary increases, disciplines/discharge, transfers and promotes employees.
- Operates the Rivarde Juvenile Detention Facility and any other residential facilities that may be developed.
- Develops and operate a multi-disciplinary juvenile assessment center on the Rivarde site, in cooperation with other government officers and agencies.
- Develops a community services unit, which will incorporate and merge all existing and/or perspective components of community supervision to ensure there exists an appropriate continuum of services and sanctions for juvenile offenders and families in need of services.
- Coordinates with the director of the community justice agency on issues of master planning, research, evaluation, and funding
- Develops agency administration goals and objectives; conducts operational audits; formulates and administers agency policies and administrative procedures; ensures agency compliance with laws, rules, regulations and court orders regarding juvenile services.
- Coordinates agency operations with courts, law enforcement, prosecutor and adult corrections agencies; reviews court records, police reports and a variety of other documents.
- Advises legislators regarding juvenile delinquency and related services.
- Responds to emergency situations as needed.
- Attends and participates in Criminal Justice Coordination Council and Juvenile Justice Advisory Board meetings; administers and updates Juvenile Justice Advisory Board.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE
The ideal candidate is a visionary that thinks out of the box and offers leadership capabilities and a proven track record of successful interactions with juveniles, members of the public, employees, and elected officials. Preference will be given to applicants that possess a Bachelor’s Degree in Criminal Justice, Social Work, Psychology or a related field; supplemented by five years professional experience with juvenile justice services; or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience. Additionally, the successful candidate shall possess and maintain a valid Louisiana Driver’s License or have the ability to secure one within ten working days of hire.
The annual salary range for the position is, $66,958 - $103,874. Starting salary will be commensurate with education and experience. Executive level employees are eligible to receive a monthly auto and cell allowance of approximately $700 a month.
Jefferson Parish offers work/life balance and a generous benefits package including:
Health Benefits (medical)- Jefferson Parish offers health insurance benefits and covers up to 81% of the employee premium and 50% of the premium for spouses and dependents. Our health benefits also include a robust wellness plan with an onsite wellness coordinator at no cost to employees
Voluntary Benefits- Available at employee’s cost are a variety of voluntary benefits which include dental insurance, vision insurance, flexible spending, accident insurance, short term and long-term disability insurance, cancer insurance, term life insurance, and critical illness insurance.
Retirement Benefits- Jefferson Parish employees are enrolled in the Parochial Employees’ Retirement System. This retirement system is a public defined benefit pension plan which provides retirement allowances and other benefits based on an employee’s years of service.
Life Insurance- Jefferson Parish provides employer-paid life insurance at one time an employee’s annual salary up to $150,000.
There shall be a Director of Juvenile Services to be appointed by the Parish President with the approval of the Council. The individual selected for this position will be required to report to duty during emergency situations. The position is considered unclassified, limited-tenure, at-will employment. The individual selected for this position will be subject to a background check and will be required to submit a financial disclosure statement annually.
Interested qualified candidates please forward resume and salary expectation to:
Attn: Ms. Nicole C. Thompson, Director
Department of Human Resource Management
1221 Elmwood Park Boulevard, Suite 517
Jefferson, LA 70123
Phone: (504) 736-6180
Fax: (504) 736-6125
The Deadline to submit is February 1, 2023.
Resumes will be screened according to the qualifications outlined above as resumes are submitted. The most qualified candidates will be interviewed.
For additional information about Jefferson Parish, tour the Parish’s website at www.jeffparish.net.
Jefferson Parish is an Equal Opportunity Employer.