The Louisiana Association of Independent Colleges and Universities (LAICU) is seeking a dynamic leader to fill the role of President. Emergent Method, a Louisiana-based management consulting firm, has been retained by the organization to facilitate this executive search and hiring process.
This position calls for an experienced leader, collaborator, and communicator to take the helm of an organization that seeks to enhance the value of Louisiana’s private colleges and universities. The President oversees work with internal and external stakeholders to execute on LAICU initiatives, supports the committees and Board of Directors, and represents the organization before public and government entities. The President reports to the Board of Directors, comprised of each LAICU member institution’s president, and oversees the organization’s day-to-day operations as well as strategic visioning and government relations.
LAICU is a 501(c)(6) nonprofit composed of 10 accredited nonprofit higher education institutions in Louisiana. LAICU institutions serve approximately 30,000 students across the state and employ nearly 9,000 people. As an organization, LAICU functions as an advocacy body, representing its member institutions, disseminating information, and collaborating across member campuses. Specifically, LAICU works to:
• Promote public policies to maintain the independent sector of higher education
• Encourage and advance the mutual interests of its members, enabling each to operate with greater efficiency and economy
• Acquire, assemble, preserve, and disseminate valuable management and institutional information to its members
• Promote the general welfare of the independent sector
The ideal candidate will have significant leadership experience, a track record of developing strategic relationships, especially in the higher education and government industries, and a deep understanding of the legislative issues, news, and trends that face the state of Louisiana.
Key responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Advocate for the interests of private colleges and universities and serve as a liaison to governmental, legislative, and state agencies
• Collaborate with other sectors of Louisiana higher education on matters of concern to all Louisiana higher educational institutions and students
• Cultivate and manage relationships including developing partnerships with LAICU institutions and a wide range of stakeholders to lead collaborative efforts of diverse groups to drive the mission of the organization
• Work with the Louisiana Board to Regents to represent LAICU institutions on all relevant matters, including licensing and policy proposals
• Recommend and implement strategies to promote the value of private higher education throughout Louisiana and beyond by publishing institution and organization-based research and information
• Monitor higher education policy at the state and federal level and Coordinate LAICU policy issues through the National Association of Independent College and Universities (NAICU)
• Serve as an active member of The National Association of Independent College and University State Executive (NAICUSE) organization by collaborating with colleagues in other states and serving on committees
• Partner with the member institutions to provide support on organization-wide initiatives
• Develop and execute a strategic plan for the organization with prompt cost savings and cost avoidance measures for member institutions
• Serve as Executive Director of the Louisiana Independent College Fund, a 501 (c) (3) organization, collaborating and managing stakeholders related to scholarships and funds
• Oversee and participate in administrative and operational tasks
Education and Experience Qualifications
• A master’s degree in business management, nonprofit management, higher education, or a related field is required, with a doctoral degree in any of these fields considered a plus
• A minimum of eight-to-ten years of professional experience in a related field demonstrating strong organizational management, administration, and strategic planning skills
• Ability to develop and sustain productive and mutually beneficial working relationships with various stakeholders, including board members, institutional partners, and government officials
• Ability to be a thought leader for the organization, demonstrating knowledge and expertise to outside parties
• Ability to perform effectively under pressure and use strong organizational skills when faced with competing priorities and foresee potential issues with initiatives to correct or pivot in advance
• Relevant industry experience in higher education, the nonprofit sector, or government administration considered a plus.
In addition to base compensation, a comprehensive benefits package will be provided.
How to Apply
Candidates should submit a resume with a cover letter and the names and contact information for three references to email@example.com.
The Louisiana Association of Independent College and Universities is an equal opportunity employer. It does not discriminate against employees or applicants for employment on any legally recognized basis or any protected class under federal, state, or local law.