Department Head (Occupational Therapy)
Department Head – Occupational Therapy
LSU Health Sciences Center
New Orleans, LA
The incumbent will be responsible for the overall administration of the Department of Occupational Therapy, guiding the Department toward achievement of its mission and vision. The incumbent will be responsible for the internal coordination of the program with all the departments within the School of Allied Health Professions and act as the primary representative of the program external to the LSU Health Sciences Center. The incumbent will also interact with key administrators of the linkage campuses to carry out the operational needs of the program in cooperation of the advisory board. As Department Head, the incumbent will have the primary responsibility for generating the required reports and to conduct the required evaluations. The incumbent will supervise the expenditure of all funds for the Department. The incumbent will serve as a department liaison to the students entering the department of Occupational Therapy in the School of Allied Health Professions. The incumbent will communicate any changes in the pre-professional requirements of the Occupational Therapy Program within the School of Allied Health Professions.
- Six years 6 years of full-time higher education experience.
- Research and Scholarship experience
- Prior experience teaching at an entry-level occupational therapy doctorate (OTD) program.
- Documented expertise in their area(s) of teaching responsibilities.
- Several years of clinical occupational therapy practice experience in a variety of settings.
- Prior experience with outpatient clinics and hospital rehabilitation contracts.
- Experience in diversity, equity, and inclusion initiatives.
- PhD or EdD
- Administrative experience
- The incumbent will have a minimum of 8 years’ experience as an occupational therapist with minimum of 3 years as a full-time core faculty member in an ACOTE accredited entry level program. The incumbent must have experience as a clinical occupational therapist.
- Ability to segment a topic or substance into smaller parts to gain a better understanding; utilizes mathematics, logic, and reasoning to conduct analyses; visualizes, articulates, and solves a variety of problems.
- Utilizes novel ways to solve work problems; thinks creatively and expansively to develop new ideas; views situation from multiple perspectives to target several opportunities for a resolution.
- Analyzes a situation by gathering and organizing information; assessing cause and effect relationships and recommend potential solutions.
- Understands, documents and applies the information to work situations; Conveys ideas and facts concisely and accurately in writing; uses language the intended audience understands.
- Plans and prioritizes tasks to ensure work is completed accurately and timely.
- Commits to creating a community that fosters respect, diversity, equity, and inclusion for all faculty, staff, and students.
- Relationship Management — Uses appropriate methods and a flexible interpersonal style to help build a cohesive team; engages stakeholders, partners and customers in developing goals, executing plans and driving results; mobilizes teams, builds momentum, and encourages participants while focusing on the success of the ultimate goals.
- Coaching & Development — Provides timely guidance and feedback to help others strengthen their knowledge and skills; develops training and development plans to grow careers of staff.
- Leadership — Influences others toward the achievement of the universities goals; uses appropriate inter-personal skills to reduce tension, resolve conflicts and diffuse disagreements; exhibits self-confidence and ambition; manages change within the workplace to improve efficiencies.
- Maximizing Results — Delivers results by maximizing available staff and resources; reallocates resources as organizational changes occur; deals effectively with others; exercises sound judgment when making decisions; manages staff performance and takes corrective actions as required.
- Strategic Thinking — Integrates longer term vision into all aspects of the organization; develops strategies to achieve departmental/organizational goals; makes tactical and strategic adjustments based on current and changing conditions; ability to see the “big” picture.
Apply at LSU Health Sciences Center Human Resources Website: