CLINICAL LABORATORY SCIENTIST/MED TECH II - LAB
Status: Full Time
Shift: 7 on 7 off night shift Thursday -Wednesday 8:30pm-7:00am Thursday, Friday, Mon, Tues, Wed. 6:30pm-7:00am Sat and Sun.
Performs clinical laboratory testing on patient specimens in any Laboratory discipline including Blood Bank and/or Microbiology in accordance with established policies and procedures. Correlates and interprets the data obtained based on knowledge of techniques, principles and instruments. Investigates and seeks to resolve testing problems. Performs corrective and preventive maintenance on equipment. Ensures accuracy of results by monitoring test quality. May consult with other members of the healthcare team.
1. Previous Experience Required: one (1) year experience as a generalist preferred
2. Specialized or Technical Education Required:
§ Bachelor’s degree in a chemical, physical or biological science required with a degree in clinical laboratory science/medical technology preferred
§ Completion of an accredited clinical laboratory training program required
§ Current license by Louisiana State Board of Medical Examiners as a Clinical Laboratory Scientist – Generalist or Clinical Laboratory Scientist – Specialist
§ To be eligible to assume Section Supervisor duties: meets current minimum Technical Supervisor personnel requirements for high-complexity testing in compliance with CLIA federal regulations Section 493-Subpart M
3. Manual or Physical Skill Required:
Distinguishes and identifies color.
Requires manual and finger dexterity, eye-hand coordination, and corrected vision and hearing to normal range.
4. Physical Effort Required/Physical Demands:
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES:
1. Proficiently performs a variety of laboratory tests and procedures following established policies, procedures and requirements of accrediting and regulating agencies in assigned work section(s) which may include any or all of the following Laboratory disciplines: Blood Bank, Chemistry, Coagulation, Hematology, Full Microbiology, Microbiology specimen preparation, Serology, and Urinalysis.
2. Plans, organizes, and prioritizes work to accomplish maximum quantity and quality of work assignments
- Monitors testing analyzers for optimum performance. Performs preventive maintenance and troubleshoots problems as needed.
4. Performs and evaluates quality control and record results. Troubleshoots quality control problems as needed.
5. Records and reports test results. Maintains all required records, reports and statistical logs and files. Identify, verify and report “critical results” per established Laboratory/hospital policy.
6. Reports any unusual laboratory findings or problems using established departmental and organizational quality and safety avenues, and escalates appropriately to Supervisor, Clinical Manager, Laboratory Director or Pathologist.
7. Monitors and maintains adequate supplies and reagents associated with assigned duties.
8. Maintains appropriate working knowledge of hospital/department computer software and other digital systems, including computer downtime operations.
9. Attends and participates in meetings (administrative, departmental, section, in-service, etc.) as necessary. Represents the department at conferences and working committees, as directed. Provides input to Section Supervisor for staff meeting agenda items.
10. Ensures own professional growth and development through literature review, seminars, conferences and professional affiliations.
11. Assists in all aspects of emergency response. May be required to work other shifts, weekends and holidays as assigned.
12. Follows North Oaks Health System’s Compliance Programs and Federal and State Regulatory guidelines.
13. Performs all duties in a safe manner, follow North Oaks Health System’s safety policies and procedures, follow the North Oak’s Health System Compliance Program, and Federal/ State Regulatory guidelines.
14. Performs other duties as required or requested by the Director or designee. This may include assuming the responsibilities of a Lead Scientist or Section Supervisor