LAB RN - LMC LABORATORY
Status: Part Time
Shift: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday 08:00 - 16:30
Responsible for accurately obtaining blood specimens via venipuncture, capillary collection, venous access devices, or central line catheters with minimum patient discomfort. May obtain urine specimens via catheterization. Performs other testing and responds to Radiology patient contrast reactions as allowed by license and scope of practice. Ensures specimen integrity by adhering to the laboratory’s procedures for specimen collection, labeling, handling, and processing. Verifies documentation and that patients meet collection and test preparation criteria. Instructs patients, as required, in the collection and handling of urine and other specimens. May clarify and enter orders in consultation with and under direction of a physician. Provides care to patients whose ages range from infant to geriatric.
1. Previous Experience Required: Minimum of 2 years full-time experience as a Registered Nurse (RN)
2. Specialized or Technical Education Required:
Graduate of an accredited School of Nursing
Holds a current, valid Louisiana state license as a Registered Nurse.
3. Manual or Physical Skill Required:
Able to work under stressful conditions
Work precisely with details such as spelling, reading physician orders and accurate filing.
Have adequate vision to perform the job. (I.e., pass a color blind test)
4. Physical Effort Required/Physical Demands:
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Performs venipunctures, heel‑sticks, finger sticks, and venous access via IV, ports or central line catheters as ordered according to established standards and practices/procedures using proper techniques and equipment. Adheres to Laboratory limits on number of attempts and communicates issues appropriately to Laboratory and/or Medical staff.
2. Performs I &O catheterizations for urine collections and collect urine from various devices as required for laboratory specimens.
3. Performs EKG’s as ordered following standard hospital procedure.
4. Correctly obtains adequate throat, nares and NP specimens as necessary for test(s) ordered. Processes specimens as required to ensure specimen stability.
5. Perform Cosyntropin Stimulation Tests.
6. Transcribes patient orders and performs other computer and non-computer related tasks necessary for outpatient specimen collection.
7. Clarifies physician orders and makes adjustments as directed by the physician.
8. Identifies, labels and dispatches specimens collected.
9. Provides direct patient care in a caring, friendly, and professional manner.
10. Follows principles of asepsis and antisepsis in performing duties.
11. Assures equipment is clean and functioning properly. (Scanners, printers, pagers, lights, etc.).
12. Ensures all supplies are within acceptable expiration dates immediately discarding those not meeting requirements.
13. Receives work assignments and complete them as assigned in a timely manner.
14. Plans, organizes and prioritizes work duties.
15. Ensures adequate supply of clean linens and other housekeeping supplies.
16. Maintains appropriate logs and required records.
17. Answers phones and takes messages.
18. Assists in orientation and training of new employees.
19. Enhances professional growth and development through participation in educational programs and department meetings.
20. Assists on special projects as needed.
21. Maintains confidentiality in accordance with hospital policies/procedures and HIPAA regulations.
22. Performs other duties as assigned. This may include rotation to weekend shifts to provide response coverage for Radiology.
23. Follows North Oaks Health System’s Compliance Programs and Federal and State Regulatory guidelines.
24. Performs all duties in a safe manner and adheres to North Oaks Health System’s safety policies and procedures.