LABORATORY ASSISTANT - ANATOMICAL PATHOLOGY
Status: PRN - As Needed
Shift: Monday - Friday as needed - hours may span 06:00 - 17:00
Performs various tasks in the Laboratory to support the department in providing patient care including specimen collection, receiving and processing, specimen accessioning, specimen distribution, test and equipment/analyzer setup, and performance and resulting of specified test procedures.
1. Previous Experience Required: minimum of six (6) months clinical laboratory experience OR current student enrolled in a NAACLS certified MLT/CLS program. One (1) year of clinical laboratory experience preferred.
2. Specialized or Technical Education Required:
• High School Graduate or equivalent
• Successful completion of an accredited Phlebotomy training program, Patient Care Tech program, or Medical Assisting program preferred
• National certification (Phlebotomy or Medical Assisting)
• Student in NAACLS recognized MLT/CLS program
• Current Louisiana State Certified Lab Assistant license eligible.
3. Manual or Physical Skill Required:
Distinguishes and identifies color.
Requires manual and finger dexterity, eye-hand coordination, and corrected vision and hearing to normal range.
4. Physical Effort Required/Physical Demands:
Performs duties in at least two (2) Laboratory sections including: chemistry/immunoassay, coagulation, hematology, microbiology specimen receiving and plating, molecular diagnostics, inpatient phlebotomy, specimen processing, anatomical pathology, serology, and/or urinalysis. Blood bank is specifically excluded. Depending on the sections where training occurs and competency is demonstrated, the duties may include, but are not limited to:
1. Performs inpatient phlebotomy as needed for patients of all ages according to established Laboratory policies and procedures.
2. Receives patient specimens, accurately accessions them into the Laboratory LIS, and distributes them to the appropriate Laboratory section. May load specimens onto analyzers for analysis. May prepare specimens for non-automated analysis. Stores and discards samples according to Laboratory policies and procedures.
3. Ensures all specimens are in the correct container, collected properly, labeled correctly such that they contain all required information for processing and meet regulatory requirements.
4. Processes reference test send outs and verifies correctness of orders and results.
5. Prepares testing systems for patient testing by running necessary quality control, recording and reviewing results, and reporting issues in accordance with Laboratory policy.
6. Performs routine instrument and equipment maintenance documenting it consistent with department policy. Recognizes malfunctions and initiates trouble-shooting procedures in a timely manner as allowed by training. Reports issues in accordance with Laboratory policy. Participates in implementing backup procedures as needed.
7. Reports waived patient test results following the Laboratory policies and procedures in each section in which they are trained and deemed competent.
8. Maintains adequate section supplies. Inventory needs are communicated in a timely manner. Participates in receiving and stocking supply/reagent deliveries.
9. Generates and reviews pending logs resolving issues as needed. Performs adequate handoff of information to incoming shift.
10. Maintains appropriate logs and required records.
11. Answers phones and takes messages. Responds to non-technical questions from hospital staff/customers. Provides patient results via fax or telephone to health care providers
12. Enhances professional growth and development through participation in educational programs and department meetings.
13. Assists on special projects as needed.
14. Maintains confidentiality in accordance with hospital policies/procedures and HIPAA regulations.
15. Performs other duties as assigned. This may include rotation to other shifts including weekends and holidays.
16. Assists in all aspects of emergency response.
17. Follows North Oaks Health System's compliance programs and all federal and state regulatory guidelines.
18. Performs all duties in a safe manner and adheres to North Oaks Health System’s safety policies and procedures.