MEDICAL ASSISTANT I-INFECTION DISEASE CLINIC
Status: Full Time
Shift: M-F 8a-5p
A. Experience, Knowledge and Skill
1. Previous Experience Required:
Previous clinic job-related experience preferred.
2. Specialized or Technical Education Required:
1. High school diploma or equivalent
2. Complete a Medical Assistant program or Nursing Program (LPN, RN)
3 years experience as an MA in a clinic setting
Enrollment in an accredited Nursing program and completion of first clinical rotation required
3. Maintain BLS certification
3. Manual or Physical Skill Required:
Must be capable of assisting with the lifting and moving of patients. Must have knowledge of appropriate body mechanics. Must be capable of prolonged standing and walking.
4. Physical Effort Required:
Strength: Medium Push: Occasionally Pull: Occasionally
Carry: Occasionally Lift: Occasionally Sit: Occasionally
Stand: Frequently Walk: Frequently
1. Performs functions such as intake, discharge, telephone messaging, medication administration, result reporting, authorizations, accurate documentation and assisting with in-office procedures.
2. Rooms patients and escorts them to the screening area/exam room after verifying identity with two patient identifiers by stating “for your safety, will you state your name and date of birth”.
3. Obtain and record patient’s weight, height and vital signs and document them into the patient’s EMR.
4. Performs medication reconciliation, allergy updates, past medical, social, surgical and family history.
5. Educates and assist patient with MyChart sign up.
6. Maintains competency in and performs any in-office testing as required. Performs venipuncture and adheres to labeling guidelines as required.
7. Initials and reviews the After Visit Summary (AVS) with the patient and/or caregiver. Emphasis will be made regarding any medication changes or future orders.
8. Cleans and disinfects the patient treatment area as well as any reusable equipment per policy and procedure after each patient encounter.
9. Assist with ordering, stocking and maintaining supplies within the clinic utilizing authorized vendors through material services.
10. Provides age appropriate care within their scope of practice.
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Performs as a team member and serves on teams/committees as requested.
2. May provide vaccine management including ordering and monitoring vaccine usage/wastage, facilitating the maintenance of the vaccines, participating in educational opportunities, utilizing the CDC guidelines as well as standard protocol for immunization management as indicated by Louisiana Immunization Network, and completing reportable documentation as recommended by Louisiana Department of State Health Services.
3. Assists providers and other staff members, as needed.
4. Issues physician’s excuse for school/work as directed by the provider.
5. Follows any other job related instructions and performs any other job related duties within their scope of practice as requested.
6. Attends staff meetings.
7. Follows associated North Oaks Health System and North Oaks Physician Group compliance programs and federal and state regulatory guidelines.
8. Completes 10 hours of continuing education per year.
Performs other duties within the scope of unlicensed personnel as assigned.