PHLEBOTOMIST I - LAB
Status: Full Time
Shift: 03:00 - 11:30 with rotating weekends and holidays as assigned.
A Phlebotomist is the Health Care Professional that obtains blood for laboratory testing. It is a technical position requiring technical knowledge in specimen collection and processing; must be able to make sound decisions objectively. Good communication skills are required due to the close interaction with patients and all departments within the hospital and the laboratory. Possess the ability to give direct patient care in a caring, friendly, and professional manner.
High School diploma or equivalent is required.
Completion of an accredited Phlebotomy program is preferred.
Phlebotomy experience is preferred.
1. Perform venipunctures, heel‑sticks, and/or finger sticks as ordered/requisitioned, following instructions in the procedure manual.
2. Identify, label and dispatch specimens received/collected. Centrifuge specimens.
3. Ability to give direct patient care in a caring, friendly, and professional manner.
4. Perform duties according to established standards and practices/procedures.
5. Use proper techniques and equipment.
6. Follow principles of asepsis and antisepsis in performing duties.
7. Assure equipment is clean and functioning properly. (Scanners, printers, pagers, lights, etc.)
8. Dispatch specimens to appropriate department or reference laboratory.
9. Assemble supplies and equipment assuring that all reagents and supplies are within acceptable expiration dates.
10. Receive work assignments.
11. Plan, organize and prioritize work duties.
12. Maintain required records.
13. Assist in orientation and training of new employees
14. Ensure that Supervisor, Coordinator(s) and Laboratory Director (if necessary) is informed and kept abreast of all needs, and concerns.
15. May rotate all shifts, including weekends and holidays. Also, may be assigned to a work area or may rotate to all areas/sections of the department.
16. Enhance professional growth and development through participation in educational programs, current literature, in-service meetings, and workshops.
17. Assist on special projects as needed by Supervisor, Coordinator(s), and/or Laboratory Director.
18. Maintain confidentiality
19. Follows North Oaks Health System’s Compliance Programs and Federal and State Regulatory guidelines.
20. Perform other duties as assigned.