RADIOLOGIC TECHNOLOGIST ASSISTANT - RADIOLOGY SUPPORT
Status: PRN - As Needed
Shift: Hours vary, as needed. Shifts include evenings and weekends.
Performs specific tasks to support the delivery of patient care and patient flow throughout the radiology department. Provides support for the delivery of a full range of medical imaging and/or therapeutic radiology procedures, performing a variety of technical and patient care related duties enhancing the effective and efficient delivery of radiology services.
Minimum Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Required:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily, the requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill set, and/or ability required.
- Current enrollment in a JRCERT accredited Radiologic Technology program.
- Completed American Heart Association Basic Life Support (BLS) certification.
- One-year experience in a hospital setting preferred.
- Ability to respond to and withstand frequent crisis situations.
- Transport, lifting and turning patients utilizing proper body mechanics.
- Stressful, constant standing or sitting, lifting supplies, carrying supplies, and viewing computer monitor for extended periods of time.
Physical Effort Required:
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES
- Reviews provider orders with technologist, ensuring all order criteria are present and appropriate, checks for special instructions, and consults with the technologist and radiologist as necessary.
- Sets up the imaging room to coincide with the exam being performed to include the use of proper isolation precautions when needed. Sets up any necessary accessory equipment and necessary medical/surgical supplies for examination. Performs miscellaneous duties such as collecting and transporting supplies.
- Maintains orderliness and cleanliness of working area including stretchers and wheelchairs.
- Completes daily/monthly room and supply checks and restocks linen and supplies as needed. Notifies supervisor when supplies need to be ordered.
- Demonstrates a satisfactory working knowledge of PACS, EMR, and any other software/portals required for image exchange.
- Transports patients to and from the department according to departmental protocols, including to and from ED. Notifies technologist of any delays that may impact workflow. Assists with patient transfers to and from exam tables and as requested.
- Replenishes O2 tank supply as needed and handles O2 equipment safely.
- Communicates effectively with patient to obtain clinical history to assist the Technologist in ensuring the appropriate exam is completed and the Radiologist in optimizing the interpretation of the exam. Reviews the chart to obtain historical information as needed, including lab values and assists the technologist in obtaining the appropriate POC labs as required and per policy/procedure.
- Pleasantly greets patients, confirms their correct identification using two patient identifiers and confirms correct procedure.
- Completely explains examination procedure to the patient and their family if present.
- Monitors patients in the exam room or holding areas when needed. Observes patient’s condition and reports any sudden changes to a technologist, nurse or physician or calls a Rapid Response or Code as appropriate. Recognizes emergent situations and responds appropriately.
- Promotes patient safety in all actions.
- Performs visual inspection of equipment, identifies problems, and communicates to the technologist and immediate manager any issues and appropriate actions taken, including AYS.
- Adheres to new, established, and revised procedures and new techniques to ensure compliance, consistent instruction, patient safety, and reliable care delivery.
- Communicates pertinent information in a timely fashion.
- Ability to anticipate and meet the needs and expectations of patients and customers.
- Assess and identify processes, equipment, and/or educational needs of the assigned departments.
- Promote actions that follow the 4C’s including teamwork, effective interpersonal skills, cooperation, and respect.
- Participates in appropriate education and on-the-job learning situations to develop necessary job skills.
Attends and completes annual competency training.
- Follows North Oaks Health System’s Compliance Programs and Federal and State Regulatory guidelines.
- Performs all other duties as required or requested by Departmental Leadership.