REG.CARD/VASC SONOGRAPHER - NORTH OAKS CARDIOLOGY
Status: Full Time
Shift: M-F, 8a-5p
The registered echocardiography and vascular sonographer performs a variety of complex technical, non-invasive cardiology and vascular tests, acquires and prepares in-depth imaging, as ordered by physician, and follows established standard operating procedures.
Previous Experience Required: Prefer two years clinical experience
- Specialized or Technical Education Required:
- Manual or Physical Skill Required:
Proper body mechanics
Possess good physical health
Ability to stand for long periods of time
- Physical Effort Required/Physical Demands:
1.Follows North Oaks Health System’s compliance programs and all federal and state regulatory guidelines.
- Performs a variety of complex technical non-invasive cardiology and vascular testing (including holter monitor hook-ups, holter scans, stress preps, stress testing, echo with color flow and Doppler, stress-echo testing, event monitor hook-ups, carotid ultrasound, ABI plethysmography testing, and lower extremity venous and arterial ultrasound) as ordered by the physician and provides detailed preliminary test interpretations for physicians.
- Prepares patients for prescribed test by obtaining and recording medical history and explaining the test procedures to ease apprehension.
- Alerts supervisor or physician regarding any irregular or critical cardiac and/or vascular activity or other abnormalities.
- Maintains, calibrates and performs quality control on equipment according to established criteria, reporting serious malfunctions to supervisor.
- Provides training and support to appropriate department personnel.
- Attends continuing education programs to maintain credentials.
- Performs duties without direct supervision on a regular basis.
- Performs routine clerical and other related duties, as required.
- Keeps work area clean (make beds, dispose of linen and trash, etc).
- Stores supplies and stocks supplies in work areas.
- Works closely with medical staff to insure procedure quality.
- Checks daily defibrillator or AED in department.
- Assists clerical staff as needed, assuring that reports are completed in a timely manner.
- Maintains logbooks, charge records, schedules and supplies as necessary for the daily operations of the department.
- Follows North Oaks Health System’s Compliance Program and Federal and State Regulatory guidelines.
- Keeps equipment clean and in proper working order.
1.Demonstrates proficiency in the following non-invasive cardiology and vascular skills and procedures:
A.Holter hook-up and scan
B.Event Monitor Hook-up
H.Lower Extremity Arterial and Venous Ultrasound
2.Demonstrates adequate understanding of data obtained in order to identify improper lead placement, artifact, interference or life-threatening arrhythmias or physical complications.
3.Demonstrates complete documentation as required by the profession and department, such as Echocardiography reports, stress lab reports, vascular reports individualized assessment and treatments.
4.Notifies appropriate physician and nurse of potential life-threatening arrhythmias seen during holter scanning or ultrasounds.
5.Prioritizes work accordingly and demonstrates effectively and demonstrates a systemic approach to the organization.
b.“TODAY” – as soon as possible
c.“ROUTINE” – within 2 hours after notification of order
6.Begins work promptly and efficiently and organizes workload.
7.Maintains professional and cooperative attitude at all times.
8.Maintains appropriate department records and log books and patient files.
9.Places interim reports on patient’s medical record in a timely manner.
10.Performs preventive maintenance and routine upkeep of all cardiology equipment and notifies appropriate staff of any malfunctioning equipment.
11.Demonstrates strong technical knowledge and has knowledge necessary to meet the objectives of the department.
12.Assists in the maintenance of a neat and safe department including cleaning and disinfecting all equipment.
13.Demonstrates understanding of isolation procedures/precautions.
14.Participates in Performance Improvement.
15.Attends mandatory hospital and departmental meetings.
16.Accepts special projects and/or responsibilities defined by Coordinator or Director.
17.Demonstrates Age Appropriate Care.
18.Performs any other necessary tasks as directed by the Coordinator, Department Administration or Medical Director.
19.Functions with cost containment in mind and compliance with hospital policies and procedures.
20.Adheres to hospital safety and Infection Control Policies and Procedures.
21.Safeguards and preserves confidentiality of patient information.
22.Downloads patient information onto CD’s and DVD’s for proper patient testing storage.
1.Instructs patient in use of equipment and precautions for each specific condition with regard to patient’s psychosocial background.
2.Evaluates patient for contraindications/indications for use and monitors patient while in use for adverse reactions.
3.Operates within manufacturer and department safety guidelines.
4.Monitors equipment for function and reports nonfunctional equipment to appropriate source.
5.Provides care and maintenance of department equipment and supplies.
6.Assess patient status following equipment usage or accurately reads and records results.
7.Knowledge of and understanding of operation of all equipment utilized.