RN - ENDOSCOPY - ENDOSCOPY
Status: Full Time
Shift: Monday-Friday, 6:30am-3:00pm, with rotating call
The Endoscopy R.N. provides patient care, cooperating with the physician, nursing staff and other personnel; implements the nursing process, following established standards and practices and serves as the patient advocate during procedures. The Endoscopy R.N. must be a graduate of an accredited school of nursing, and be currently licensed by the Louisiana State Board of Nurse Examiners. Membership in a professional organization is encouraged. The Endoscopy R.N. must possess good physical health. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to stand for long periods of time. Lifting and transporting of patients is required. Motor coordination and manual dexterity are necessary.
1. Specialized or Technical Education Required:The Endoscopy Room Nurse will be a graduate of an accredited school of nursing and be currently licensed to practice professional nursing in the state of Louisiana. Previous Endoscopy Room experience is preferred.2. Physical Effort Required:Strength: MediumPush: FrequentlyPull: FrequentlyCarry: FrequentlyLift: OccasionallySit: OccasionallyStand: FrequentlyWalk: Frequently
- Standards of Nursing Practice
- Provides quality patient care as outlined in the “SGNA Standards and Guidelines” and the department’s policies and procedures.
- Interprets and monitors compliance of established standards, policies and procedures for Endoscopy technicians and other Surgical Services personnel as applicable.
- Demonstrates knowledge of the principles of growth and development over the life span and the skills necessary to provide care appropriate to the age of the patients served. He/She shall be able to interpret data about the patient’s status in order to identify each patient’s age specific needs and provide the care needed by the patient group.
- The Endoscopy R.N. is responsible and accountable for the delivery and documentation of patent care before, during, and after the procedure.
- Addresses and supports cultural practices as long as such practices do not harm others or interfere with the planned course of medical therapy.
- Operational Functions
- Assists in the orientation of new employees.
- Ensures individual skills are current by attending relative and educational programs.
- Assists department coordinators in maintenance of policies and procedures.
- Schedules assignments of personnel as applicable.
- Assists in data collection and report writing as applicable.
- Other areas of responsibility are as follows:
- Fiscal Management
i.Utilizes supplies and materials in a cost effective manner
ii.Monitors levels of inventory in accordance with established desired quantities.
- Surgical Services Environment
- Maintains a safe environment by adherence to safety principles.
- Participates in departmental fire and disaster drills.
- Complies with infection control guidelines.
- Records information that reflects nursing care given by the members of the nursing team.
- Documents activities other than direct nursing care that may affect the patient’s outcome.
- Performance Improvement/Development
- Assists in the identification of patient related potential problem areas for referral for quality review.
- Monitors established quality review indicators for compliance.
- Participates as assigned in the department Performance Improvement Committee.
- Attends committee meetings as designated.
- Attends in-service programs.
- Attends and participates in departmental staff meetings.
- Adheres to policies and procedures.
- Responsible for adherence to hospital policies and procedures for self and personnel under his/her supervision.
- Complies with attendance policies.
- Adheres to acceptable dress code.
- Reports incidents and injuries.
- Shares in the responsibility of providing emergency services 24 hours a day.
- Demonstrates professional manner.
- Knowledgeable of all hospital safety codes, and performs duties during drills and actual emergencies.
- Reports unsafe conditions and incidents.
- Provides clean environment.
- Accounts for narcotics.
- Follows North Oaks Health System’s Compliance Programs and Federal and State regulatory guidelines.
- Maintains patient confidentiality.
- Demonstrates good interpersonal relationships
- Extends courtesy and consideration for others in interpersonal relationships.
- Demonstrates professional manner in work setting.
- Accepts and acts upon constructive criticism to upgrade abilities.
- Channels suggestions, criticisms and questions to appropriate persons.
- Seeks clarification of duties when indicated.
- Share knowledge with others.
- Demonstrates tact and understanding when dealing with patients and their families.
- Performs other duties as requested.
1.Assists physician during Endoscopy procedures.
i.Sets up procedure room, equipment, instruments and supplies according to established policy and procedure.
ii.Assists in preparation of the patient for Endoscopy procedures.
iii.Assists and anticipates the needs of the physician regarding equipment and supplies according to techniques, procedures, and special requirements.
iv.Maintains aseptic technique at all times.
v.Assists with care of all specimens as directed by standard procedures.
vi.Stocks all rooms with equipment and supplies.
vii.Assists with patient education under direction of RN.
2.Assist in care and handling of professional equipment and supplies.
i.Demonstrates understanding of the need for special handling of specialized equipment.
ii.Demonstrates awareness of the need for cost containment.
iii.Maintains high level disinfecting and care of scope and equipment.
iv.Documents dates of changes of glutaraldehyde solutions.
v.Disinfects with hospital-approved solution all rooms, stretchers/procedure tables in between patients.
vi.Utilizes the scope washer according to manufacturer guidelines and hospital protocol.
vii.Documents the cleaning/disinfection process of all Endoscopes on appropriate log.
viii.Stocks all rooms and checks out dates per department protocol.
- Follows North Oaks Health System’s Compliance Programs and all Federal and State regulatory guidelines.
- Able to demonstrate competency in age specific criteria as applicable to job scope.
- Membership in SGNA encouraged.