UNIT SECRETARY - ORTHO NEUROSURGERY
Status: Full Time
Responsible for the clerical and reception duties of the nursing unit, as well as maintaining records and established unit supplies.
The Unit Secretary must be a high school graduate.
Previous experience in secretarial work, computers and medical terminology is preferred. Completion of the hospital orientation program is mandatory.
Manual or Physical Skill Required. Physical Effort Required/Physical Demands: Strength: Light Push: Occasionally Pull: Occasionally Carry: Occasionally Lift: Occasionally Sit: Occasionally Stand: Occasionally Walk: Occasionally.
1. Perform general reception duties of the unit.
A. Utilize appropriate and established phone courtesy.
B. Greet persons on unit in a courteous and attentive manner.
C. Maintain confidentiality of the department and of all patients.
D. Utilize courtesy and cooperation towards other personnel and volunteers to maintain good departmental and interdepartmental relations.
E. Take and deliver messages accurately.
F. Channel suggestions, problems and questions to appropriate personnel.
2. Perform general clerical duties.
A. Answer telephone and utilize computer.
B. Answer all call lights. Follow up with the nurses, nursing assistants and/or patients to assure timely response.
C. Run errands for nursing staff as requested.
D. Assist in the care and maintenance of department equipment and supplies. Assure proper level of department inventory. Serve as a resource for the copy machine, fax, scanner, printer, armband printer, etc.
E. Review daily charges and verify equipment in patient rooms as assigned.
F. Maintain patient medical records using EPIC.G. Ensure that all MD consults are called to appropriate physician in a timely manner.
3. Patient Care Experience.
A. Introduce self to patients at bedside as part of team and one that answers call lights.
B. Ensures call lights are answered and requests/needs are addressed timely and ensures proper response.
C. Communicates patient concerns or problem situations to charge nurse or unit coordinator.
D. Check with patients to see if they need assistance or items such as extra pillows, blankets, tissues, etc.
E. Deliver and pick up meal trays; help patients open and prepare tray.
F. Transport patients according to established protocol, after completing competency.
4. Maintain an employment record in accordance with hospital and department policies and procedures regarding quality assurance, safety, environment, infection control and payroll.
A. Demonstrate professional manner in work setting.
B. Comply with attendance policies.
C. Adhere to acceptable dress codes.
D. Attend required meetings, in-services and educational programs.
E. Utilize constructive criticism to upgrade individual abilities.
F. Perform other duties as requested by the supervisor.
5. Follows North Oaks Health System’s Compliance Programs and all Federal and State regulatory guidelines.
6. Is able to demonstrate competency in age specific criteria as applicable to job scope.
1. No direct patient care is allowed, including taking temperatures, pulse or blood pressures.
2. Nothing can be given to a patient to eat or drink (including water) without authorization from nursing staff.
3. Never lift or move a patient.