BMT Clinical Pharmacy Specialist
DescriptionSHIFT: Days (rotating weekends)
Offering a $20,000 Sign-on Bonus for Qualified Candidates!
Do you have the career opportunities as a BMT Clinical Specialist you want in your current role? We have an exciting opportunity for you to join Tulane Medical Centera facility that is part of the nation's leading provider of healthcare services, HCA Healthcare.
At Tulane Medical Center, we want to ensure your needs are met. We offer a variety of comprehensive medical, dental, and vision plans along with some unique benefits including:
- Tuition Reimbursement/Assistance Programs
- Paid Personal Leave
- 401k (100% annual match – 3%-9% of pay based on years of service)
- Identity Theft Protection discounts
- Auto, Home, and Life Insurance options
- Adoption Assistance
- Employee Stock Purchase Program (ESPP)
Our teams are a committed, caring group of colleagues. Do you want to work as a BMT Clinical Specialist where your passion for creating positive patient interactions are valued? If you are dedicated to caring for the well-being of others, this could be your next opportunity. We want your knowledge and expertise!
The BMT Clinical Pharmacy Specialist is an essential member of the multidisciplinary Transplant and Cellular Therapy program. The BMT Clinical Pharmacy Specialist will support the Transplant and Cellular Therapy program in both an inpatient (hospital) and outpatient (clinic) setting. The BMT Clinical Pharmacy Specialist is responsible for providing evidence-based, patient-centered oncology and supportive care pharmacotherapy management while serving as the subject matter expert for the multidisciplinary care team. This includes clinical treatment assessment of patient regimens and supportive care guidelines; providing recommendations to physicians based on evidence-based medicine and/or national guidelines; monitoring patient medication regimens; serving a as medication information resource for patients, the pharmacy department and all members of the Transplant and Cellular Therapy care team, and assisting in transitions of care and patient/caregiver education.
About this unit:
- The Tulane Medical Center Pharmacy Department services the needs of our inpatient, emergency room, surgical and outpatient oncology/infusion populations
- Opportunity to join a collaborative team to provide excellent pharmaceutical care
- Leadership and staff are positive, supportive, and engaged
- Recommends, designs, implements, monitors, and modifies pharmacotherapeutic plans including but not limited to: antineoplastic regimens, supportive care, symptom prevention and treatment, pain and palliative care, antimicrobial regimens, immunosuppression regimens, and graft-versus-host disease treatment.
- Attends and actively participates in daily multidisciplinary BMT rounds and provides team with evidence-based clinical decision support.
- Assists with therapeutic drug monitoring of immunosuppression regimens, chemotherapy, anti-infectives, etc.
- Educates and counsels patients and caregivers prior to chemotherapy/targeted therapy initiation to ensure comprehension of treatment plan, medication administration, and side effects.
- Promotes antimicrobial stewardship by monitoring and managing prophylactic and treatment regimens.
- Assists with transitions of care during each stage of a patient’s care including: medication reconciliation upon admission, discharge planning and management, facilitation of hospice/palliative care when needed, and provision of financial aide through patient assistance programs.
- Educates patients and caregivers at discharge to provide full instruction on administration and side effects of immunosuppressant agents, antimicrobial agents, and other pertinent post-transplant medications.
- Educates health care providers, nurses, and pharmacy staff routinely about current/new evidence-based practices and safe medication preparation, administration, handling, and disposal per USP 800 standards.
- Manages chemotherapy processes by collaborating with the multidisciplinary team on the creation and management of order sets, policies, procedures, and practice guideline development.
- Partners with Transplant and Cellular Therapy services leadership and providers to maintain Foundation for the Accreditation of Cellular Therapy (FACT) accreditation. Yearly attendance is required at ASTCT to maintain (FACT) accreditation.
- Licensure/Certification/Registration: Louisiana licensed pharmacist or eligible.
- Education: Doctor of Pharmacy from an ACPE-accredited college of pharmacy required.
- Experience: Must Meet One of the Following Requirements:
- Completion of ASHP-accredited PGY1 Pharmacy Practice Residency Program AND PGY2 Hematology/Oncology Residency Program OR
- Completion of ASHP-accredited PGY1/PGY2 Pharmacotherapy Residency Program with an emphasis in Hematology/Oncology OR
- Completion of ASHP-accredited PGY1 Pharmacy Practice Residency Program PLUS 2 years of experience as a pharmacist in a progressive Hematology/BMT clinical practice OR4 years as a pharmacist in a progressive clinical practice in BMT/Cellular Therapy/Oncology.
- Special qualifications: Board Certified Oncology Pharmacist (BCOP) certification preferred. ACLS and/or PALS preferred. Must be able to successfully complete established competencies for the position within designated probationary period. Demonstrates excellent verbal and written communication skills. Word processing, spreadsheet creation and manipulation and other computer software skills required.
- Hours of work: Full-time - Monday-Friday(7:00 am-3:30 pm) w/occasional call & weekends - Inpatient Malignant Hematology/ BMT service hours of operations, but with notice, may be required to staff during emergency situations as assigned by Director of Pharmacy (DOP). Example, hurricanes, floods, pandemic etc.
With 235+ beds, Tulane Medical Center is an acclaimed teaching, research and medical center serving the greater New Orleans area. Tulane Medical Center has been named a World’s Best Hospital by Newsweek in its 2019 listing of the top medical facilities across the globe. Of the 1,000 hospitals listed in the report, Tulane Medical Center is one of just 250 “World’s Best Hospitals” found in the United States and the only hospital in southern Louisiana on the list.
At Tulane, our mission statement reminds us that above all else we are committed to the care and improvement of human life. When we speak of our mission, we usually think about our dedication to patients and their families and our commitment to them. But we are also equally committed to our employees. You are part of an organization with a long history of compassion and service to patients. The degree to which we as an organization can provide quality healthcare service is highly dependent on how well you are able to perform your job.
HCA Healthcare has been continually named a World's Most Ethical Company by Ethisphere since 2010. In 2018, HCA Healthcare spent an estimated $3.3 billion in cost for the delivery of charitable care, uninsured discounts, and other uncompensated expenses.
If you are looking for an opportunity that provides satisfaction and personal growth, we encourage you to apply for our BMT Clinical Pharmacy Specialist opening. We promptly review all applications. Highly qualified candidates will be contacted for interviews. Unlock the possibilities and apply today!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.