Behavioral Management Technician I
Tulane University Covington, LA Full-time Mental Health
Posted on September 18, 2023
Performs routine tasks related to the implementation and maintenance of the behavioral management program for nonhuman primates and other laboratory animal species as directed by the Behavioral Management Program Manager. Tasks include but are not limited to:
• Maintains inventory of supplies
• Organizes and performs technical duties, such as preparation, maintenance and distribution of enrichment materials, devices and equipment.
• Designs, develops and tests enrichment techniques, new ideas for enhancing captive environments, and interventions in terms of practicality, use by animals, and efficacy for improving behavior.
• Identifies animals that are in need to specialized intervention for observed behavioral problems.
• Collects observational data for behavioral studies.
• Performs positive reinforcement training.
May be designated as essential personnel during a storm/natural disaster. If required to work during a closure, employee must provide accurate and current contact information and is responsible for maintaining communication with TNPRC. Failure to report to work when requested by supervisor or manager will result in disciplinary action as outlined by the Staff Handbook.
Failure to meet established performance standards in the performance of the job duties and responsibilities outlined in this job description (or as otherwise assigned); and/or failure to interact courteously and tactfully with managers, co-workers, customers and/or vendors such that productivity or departmental morale suffers will result in management’s taking the appropriate disciplinary action as outlined in the Staff Handbook.
Employee attendance must meet established work schedules. Faithfulness in coming to work, being on time, planning absences in advance when possible, and calling in when unavoidably detained from reporting for work is an essential requirement of the job.