Medical Research Specialist
The Medical Research Specialist will be responsible for performing experiments in the level 2 and level 3 laboratories. The Medical Research Specialist will be trained by the Core Manager as well as by the Institutional Department of Biosafety and will work on Risk Group 3 (RG3) agents such as mycobacterium tuberculosis, coxiella burnetii, Bacillus antracis, Brucella abortis, Burkholderia pseudomallei and coronaviruses. Necessary experiments include those involving molecular biology, pathology, immunology and microbiology, in adherence with the Standard Operating Protocols (SOPs) in place.
The Medical Research Specialist also conducts research analysis and prepares reports; manage daily operational functions of the laboratory, maintains experimental records; orders and keeps track of laboratory specimens, supplies and inventory, contributes to publication research and development activities, as well as monitors work performance of lab assistants and student researchers, as assigned. Ensure OSHA, Biosafety and University medical, safety and training requirements are met for the laboratory.
This position has job duties that require accessing the BSL3 containment areas. There will be additional minimum requirements including some or all of the following:
- Must obtain and maintain clearance of a US Department of Justice Security Risk Assessment for access to select biological agents and toxins.
- Must pass a medical respiratory physical to wear respiratory protection.
- Must participate in and be in compliance with TNPRC drug and alcohol policy. This is necessary at the time of beginning employment and at any time afterwards. Employment is contingent upon successful compliance with this policy at all times.
- Will be subject to all State and Federal laws that regulate the use of the TNPRC BSL3 laboratories.
- Loss of ability to enter the BSL3 facility for any reason may result in disciplinary actions, up to and including termination.