Medical Research Specialist
The Medical Research Specialist is responsible for performing highly specialized virology and immunology research pertinent to various TNPRC AIDS vaccine research projects, which includes conducting a wide range of molecular, virological, immunological and cell culture techniques and laboratory assays. The Medical Research Specialist also conducts research analysis and prepares reports; manage daily operational functions of the laboratory, maintains experimental records; orders and keeps track of laboratory specimens, supplies and inventory, contributes to publication research and development activities, as well as monitors work performance of lab assistants and student researchers, as assigned. Ensure OSHA, Biosafety and University medical, safety and training requirements are met for the laboratory.
The TNPRC maintains Biosafety Level 3 Facilities and performs work on diverse infectious agents, many of which can cause serious disease in humans if standard operating procedures, including use of appropriate personal protective equipment, are not followed. Depending on agent specific risk assessments, individuals may be offered, or in some cases required, to have vaccinations against the relevant agents.
This position has job duties that require accessing the BSL3 containment areas. There will be additional minimum requirements including some or all of the following:
- Must obtain and maintain clearance of a US Department of Justice Security Risk Assessment for access to select biological agents and toxins.
- Must pass a medical respiratory physical to wear respiratory protection.
- Must participate in and be in compliance with TNPRC drug and alcohol policy. This is necessary at the time of beginning employment and at any time afterwards. Employment is contingent upon successful compliance with this policy at all times.
- Will be subject to all State and Federal laws that regulate the use of the TNPRC BSL3 laboratories.
- Loss of ability to enter the BSL3 facility for any reason may result in disciplinary actions, up to and including termination.