Medical Research Specialist
Tulane University New Orleans, LA Full-time Health Care Provider
Posted on March 18, 2023
The Medical Research Specialist is responsible for performing and coordinating highly specialized research in biosafety level 2 and level 3 high containment laboratories working with Group 2 (RG2) and 3 (RG3) high consequence pathogens which includes conducting a wide range of aerosol, molecular, bacterial, viral, toxicological, and immunological cell culture techniques, and laboratory assays. This position will require occasional travel between Tulane University’s School of Medicine and TNPRC located in Covington, LA as needed based on research needs.
In addition, the Medical Research Specialist:
• Independently work on assigned laboratory projects in coordination with laboratory supervisory staff and under the direction of the PI.
• Assists with and independently performs aerosol related research.
• Performs and coordinates live animal portions of experimentation.
• Manages records of experiments performed, observations made during the experiment, and results of the experiment.
• Manages daily operational functions of the laboratory.
• Orders and keeps track of laboratory specimens, supplies, and inventory.
• Contributes to publication research and development activities.
• Monitors work performance of lab assistants and student researchers, as assigned.
• Ensures OSHA, Biosafety and University medical, safety and training requirements are met for the laboratory
The Tulane National Primate Research Center maintains Biosafety Level 3 Facilities and performs work on diverse infectious agents, many of which can cause serious disease in humans if standard operating procedures, including use of appropriate personal protective equipment, are not followed. Depending on agent specific risk assessments, individuals may be offered, or in some cases required, to have vaccinations against the relevant agents.
This position has job duties that require accessing the BSL3 containment areas. There will be additional minimum requirements including some or all the following:
• Must obtain and maintain clearance of a US Department of Justice Security Risk Assessment for access to select biological agents and toxins.
• Must pass a medical respiratory physical to wear respiratory protection.
• Must participate in and be in compliance with TNPRC drug and alcohol policy. This is necessary at the time of beginning employment and at any time afterwards. Employment is contingent upon successful compliance with this policy at all times.
• Will be subject to all State and Federal laws that regulate the use of the TNPRC BSL3 laboratories.
• Loss of ability to enter the BSL3 facility for any reason may result in disciplinary actions, up to and including termination.