Intralox is looking for a highly motivated and qualified Packaging Engineer to become part of our work family in New Orleans, Louisiana. The Packaging Engineer will be responsible for creating new, and improve existing, carton specifications for various configurations of plastic conveyor modules, accessories and assembled conveyor belting. He / She will analyze and select materials for packaging based on durability and cost effectiveness. This includes corrugate shipping cartons, wooden crates, and mailer style packaging. The Packaging Engineer is responsible for continually reviewing and improving existing packaging designs, and will work with internal resources, as well as packaging suppliers, to achieve the optimal packaging solution.
- Review all existing intra company Packaging and create an excel database of all our existing packaging material.
- Eliminate all unnecessary box types.
- Ensure stable pallet loading.
- Develop specifications for acceptable void space inside boxes so as to minimize damage to boxes under loading.
- Packaging of large component modules.
- Troubleshoot new and existing packaging problems involving designs, materials and processes and provide creative, timely, and cost-effective solutions.
- Investigation into Slip sheet technology and Box clamp technology. Develop business case for these Trailer/Container loading techniques and make a recommendation accordingly.
- Management of vendor packaging and develop packaging standards for our vendors to adhere to.
- Review customer packaging and drive standardization in sizes, material and design.
- Review packaging dunnage and air bag use with customer packaging.
- Cost analysis on packaging expenses throughout the organization.
- Generate specifications and instructions for packaging.
- Sourcing materials and vendors. Coordinating proposed designs to vendors.
- Assist Purchasing and Admin in ordering materials and purchased items and tracking vendor progress and quality.
- Responsible for maintaining and updating all electronic engineering files and changes.
- Participate in new product introduction teams, to identify existing packaging or design new packaging to deliver new products to the customer.
- Initiate and assist in continuous improvement including cost reduction initiatives, process improvements, 5S and Lean
- Identify and implement cost saving initiatives related to packaging materials, labor, efficiency, transportation and storage
- Work with cross-functional teams like new products design, packaging vendors, purchasing, packaging consultants and others, to eliminate wastes and optimize packaging handling for Intralox globally.
- B.S. in Packaging Engineering, or Industrial Engineering, or Mechanical Engineering, or related 4-year degree
- 3 to 5 years of experience in designing and engineering corrugate, protective and returnable packaging solutions for industrial applications
- Knowledge of and experience in design and fabrication of transport, storage, and WIP packaging
- Experience with corrugate packaging design for LTL, Ocean & Air Freight.
- Experience in a manufacturing or warehouse environment
- Experience in fulfillment and distribution packaging
- Solid knowledge of packaged transit testing methods
- Knowledge of Materials Management/Logistics/Supply Chain techniques
- Ability to interpret CAD and other Assembly drawings, specs and layouts
- Must be detail oriented and have strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Must have experience with data analysis to optimize packaging.
- Should have knowledge and experience in using of Lean Manufacturing techniques to resolve packaging related problems.
- Working knowledge or experience with Oracle ERP system preferred
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to travel as needed, up to 25 to 40%
- Familiarity with Packaging and Palletizing software like TOPS & CAPE is preferred
- Familiarity with 3D modeling using ArtiosCAD, IMPACT, INVENTOR or SOLIDWORKS is preferred
- Certified Packaging Professional (CPP) or Certified Professional in Training (CPIT) is a plus
Location/Region: New Orleans, LA