The Medical Research Specialist will be responsible for conducting research to investigate the role of IDO pathway, innate immunity (complement) and immune activation in HIV-associated atherosclerosis in mouse and monkey models. The candidate should be proficient in mice tail vein injections and plaque analyses that are essential for conducting experiments in mouse models. The candidate should be able to work independently under minimal supervision under biosafety level 2+ conditions. The candidate will also be in charge of the laboratory including ordering supplies, maintaining equipment, general laboratory maintenance, scheduling of experiments, and collating, organizing and presenting data. The candidate will also instruct other staff and student in basic laboratory techniques as required by the Principal Investigator.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of BSL-2 and preferably BSL-3 compliance and standard operating procedures.
- Strong organizational skills
- Familiarity with basic computational tools such as Microsoft Excel/Word etc.
- Ability to work independently and as a team player
- Rigorous and reliable performance of laboratory techniques with attention to detail
- Strong communication skills
- Good record keeping skills
- Ability to order reagents, keep laboratory records, prepare laboratory stocks
- Ability to multi-task and meet deadlines
- A committed individual with a vision for their future
- Proficiency with common laboratory equipment
- Willingness to learn and take on new responsibilities as and when the need arises
Required Education and/or Experience
- Bachelor’s degree and three years directly related experience required
- Bachelor’s degree in biological science or related field
Compensation Information This position is assigned to pay grade P2.25. Tulane offers a variety of options to enhance your health and well-being so that you may enjoy more out of life now and in the future. Learn more about Life at Tulane as well as our Benefits and Pay. See our Candidate Resources to learn more about our hiring process and what to expect.
Location/Region: Covington, LA