The Research Scientist I will engage in comprehensive research to help evolve minimally invasive surgery. The proposed research will consist of:
- Benign and malignant esophageal diseases
- Metabolic surgery and Bariatric Surgery procedures and outcomes
- Robotic surgery
- Endoscopic therapies
- Research in surgical education and training
- Evaluation of novel surgical devices and procedures
The focus of the research is to provide exposure and experience to the aforementioned research projects with the opportunity for independent investigation over a 1-year period. The Research Scientist I will also be responsible for collection of data for use in research studies related to minimally invasive surgery and will also be conducting research in surgical education and minimally invasive surgery.
The Research Scientist I is expected to fully participate in the surgical education laboratory teaching residents and medical students.Research Scientists are individuals holding a Ph.D. or equivalent terminal degree who play a major role in enabling research programs through collaborative and collegial interactions with faculty, postdoctoral fellows, graduate students and staff. The rank of the research scientist is a staff appointment. A research scientist may apply his/her effort entirely to research, or a combination of research, training, and lab managerial activities. The classification of Research Scientist I is the entry level position in the job hierarchy.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Technical skills and competencies to conduct quantifiable, meaningful research
- Excellent oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills
- Ability to interact with individuals of diverse backgrounds at all levels internal and external to the organization
- Ability to work collaboratively as a positive, contributing member of a team
- Ability to keyboard and utilize various standardized word processing, spreadsheet preparation, and presentation software
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and projects simultaneously
- Ability to prioritize work, performing assignments with minimal supervision
- Proficiency in written and spoken English
Required Education and/or Experience
- Interest in pursuing post-residency or postdoctoral training in the clinical medical sciences aimed at advancing and expanding minimally invasive surgery
- Physician scientists with postdoctoral experience in surgery
Compensation Information This position is assigned to pay grade . Tulane offers a variety of options to enhance your health and well-being so that you may enjoy more out of life now and in the future. Learn more about Life at Tulane as well as our Benefits and Pay. See our Candidate Resources to learn more about our hiring process and what to expect.
Location/Region: New Orleans, LA