Under the direction of the Associate Dean for Technology Initiatives & Special Collections, the Applications Development Manager is responsible for the delivery of complex digital solutions to support the LSU Library system. They will supervise a team of software developers and system administrators tasked with developing and maintaining the specialized applications that enable the Libraries to better support and facilitate teaching, learning, and research efforts. This role will be primarily a supervisory one, but will require hands on development work at times.
- 40% As the Technical Lead, this role will be work with University ITS and other Library technical staff to ensure all supported applications are up-to-date, secure, and available. These systems include Louisiana Digital Library, ArchivesSpace, LSU Digital Commons institutional repository, Libraries’ website, and Digital Scholarship Lab projects among others.
- 25% Manages and supports the teams developing, maintaining, and updating the software applications and systems. This includes identifying short and long-term priorities to help the Library system meet its goals, along with day-to-day prioritization of tasks for the team. They are also responsible for ensuring systems and processes are well defined and documented.
- 10% Manage the Library system's AWS environment to support current and future applications. Optimize the environment for cost, performance and availability as needs scale.
- 15% Works to improve the technical sophistication of the LSU Library system, including the application development team, librarians, faculty, staff and other members of the community through discussions, research, and training.
- 10% Shares knowledge of current developments in related open source projects and software engineering best practices and offers assistance or consultation to other project teams as needed; Contributes to digital planning and processes.
Bachelor's degree and 3 years of related experience. Qualified applicants must possess a strong ability to use scripting languages such as PHP, Java, and Python; Experience with object-oriented programming; Familiarity with relational databases and SQL; Experience manipulating XML with JSON; excellent UNIX skills; Ability to manage complex software development using version control software such as Git; Excellent oral and written communication skills, and strong interpersonal and organizational skills; Demonstrated ability to work in a team environment; Ability to communicate effectively with both technical and non-technical individuals.
Experience with application servers (e.g., Tomcat) and Amazon Web Services; Familiarity with Fedora and Drupal; Experience working with library bibliographic data (e.g., MARC, MODS, EAD) and OAI-PMH; Familiarity with project management principles and practices; Experience with DevOps build tools (e.g., Vagrant, Docker); Ability to coordinate full life-cycle of medium to large-sized complex projects.
Please provide cover letter, resume and three (3) professional references including name, title, phone number and e-mail address. A copy of your transcript(s) may be attached to your application. However, official transcripts are required prior to hire. Attach ALL required documents under the "Resume/CV" section of your application.
An offer of employment is contingent on a satisfactory pre-employment background check.
Additional Position Information:
LSU offers outstanding benefits to eligible employees and their dependents including health, life, dental, and vision insurance; flexible spending accounts; retirement options; various leave options; paid holidays; wellness benefits; tuition exemption for qualified positions; training and development opportunities; employee discounts; and more!
LSU is committed to diversity and is an equal opportunity / equal access employer.
HCM Contact Information:
Questions or concerns can be directed to the LSU Human Resources Management Office at 225-578-8200 or emailed HR@lsu.edu
Location/Region: Baton Rouge, Louisiana