The Lincoln Parish Police Jury is accepting applications from qualified candidates for the position of Parish Treasurer.
PARISH TREASURER DEFINITION:
Under administrative direction and policies established by the Police Jury; is responsible for administrative work of unusual difficulty in the direction, coordination and administration of the financial activities under the jurisdiction of the parish governing authority; is parish treasurer as provided by R.S. 33:1654, 1657, is responsible for work of unusual difficulty in the application of accounting principles and practices to the parish financial records; and performs related work as required. Position subject to annual evaluation by Police Jury.
EXAMPLE OF DUTIES:
Within the frame-work of broad policies, ordinances, laws and regulation, oversees the financial administration of the various departments under the jurisdiction of the Police Jury; prepares and oversees the implementation of the parish budget; prepares budget proposals; keeps informed of federal and state laws which may affect the parish. In accordance with Louisiana Law, receives, disburses and invests parish monies; maintains records and keeps the Police Jury informed of all financial transactions; plans organizes and supervises the work of the Accounting Department in maintaining a complete governmental accounting system for the parish; studies, devises and installs revisions of the accounting system; supervises administrative personnel of other departments and agencies regarding interpretation and compilation of the annual parish budget; studies and devises methods of short and long term planning of cash and investment requirements; supervises and personally participates in all work relative to accounting for grant fund received through federal and state assistance programs. Directly responsible to the governing body, the Police Jury, for financial affairs and under oversight direction of the Parish Administrator for day-to-day coordination of financial functions with other administrative procedures.
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
- Good knowledge of governmental accounting and finance; and the regulations and policies governing the receipts, custody, and expenditures of parish monies.
- Ability to plan, organized and supervise the work of a group of sub-professionals and clerical personnel; to prepare detailed and accurate special and regular financial and statistical reports; to train and supervise employees and maintains effective relationships with department heads, other parish officials, employees and the general public; to express ideas clearly and concisely in oral and written form.
Education and Experience:
- A Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university in finance, accounting, business administration or a closely related field.
- A Master’s degree in Public or Business Administration and/or Certified Public Accountant License.
- Progressively responsible experience in local government finance also preferred.
- Must have well rounded, strong background and knowledge in accounting, investments, financial statements, auditing and internal controls, budgeting, billing and accounting software, preferably with experience in a public agency.
- Appropriate vehicle operator’s license
If interested, submit completed Police Jury application (required), a letter of interest, resume with salary history, and three (3) separate professional letters from references to: Mr. Courtney Hall, Administrator, P.O. Box 979, Ruston, LA 71273‐0979.
Lincoln Parish Police Jury is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Location/Region: Ruston, LA