The Shreveport Times/shreveporttimes.com in Shreveport, Louisiana, a part of the USA TODAY NETWORK, is looking for an energetic reporter who can cover some of the most interesting stories emerging in the city.
This Bossier City/general assignment position isn’t about covering chicken dinners and ribbon cuttings. It’s about city growth, social change and political nuance. It’s telling stories about how we live, and the decisions made that affect how we live.
This reporter will have the pulse of Bossier City, a sister city to Shreveport. Bossier City is a growing city in northwest Louisiana bolstered by Barksdale Air Force. The host unit at Barksdale is the 2nd Bomb Wing, the oldest bomb wing in the Air Force. Barksdale is equipped with more than 40 B-52 bombers. But Bossier City is more than just a military town. There is a gaming industry that includes three casinos and a horse race track. There is a technology industry, led by the Cyber Innovation Center. Other large employers include the health care industry and the school system.
This reporter will hold government officials to account with watchdog journalism. This reporter will also be asked to tell the stories of the people who live and work in Bossier City and call it home as we try to build on our audience in Bossier City.
When news breaks, whether it’s crime, a fire or the FBI raiding a city official’s office, we want this reporter to be able to adapt quickly. This reporter will put a pin in what was planned for the day, pick up a notebook, pen and cellphone and get to the scene to immediately begin calling details to the newsroom for posting online, interviewing witnesses and shooting video.
It’s for someone who isn’t afraid of the biggest story of the day, the month, the year, and sticking with it, following through on news tips and developing the best multi-sourced story possible.
The Times is looking for a reporter strong with public information requests but hasn’t forgotten how good old-fashioned shoe leather often leads to the best writing. The reporter is a strong storyteller who doesn’t just break news but has the writing and multimedia skills that make readers invest into reading longer pieces.
We want a smart, ambitious, hard-working, nice reporter who is self-driven and independently develops a strong story. You will be required to use your discretion, creativity and news judgment to influence how we approach our coverage.
The Shreveport Times is part of the USA TODAY NETWORK and works closely with the other four USA TODAY NETWORK papers in Louisiana to exchange and share content.
USA TODAY NETWORK is one of the top 20 digital companies in the country, sharing the list with Google, Facebook, and Amazon. It has more than 100 million unique visitors a month, which is more than Buzzfeed, Yahoo News, and Huffington Post. Because the network consists of more than 110 local properties with USA TODAY at the helm, you’ll have the luxury of living in a community you love while making a national impact.
- Create storytelling that accurately informs, entertains and engages specific audiences and platforms through the use of metrics. Acts as the community’s leading watchdog in area of expertise.
- Connect with the community through storytelling and outreach (social media, on camera, forums, community leadership, etc.)
- Work with the content strategist, content coach and audience analyst to evaluate what’s working and what’s not and develop ongoing plans to better satisfy audience needs.
- Collaborate with content team to provide all the appropriate elements for stories (i.e. photos, videos and graphics).
- Provide thoughtful analysis of complex issues.
- Promote personal brand, the brands of colleagues and the institutional brand.
- Provide great customer service, helping readers find answers and solutions.
- Bachelor’s or master’s degree in communications, journalism, marketing or related field or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 2+ years’ previous reporting, producing and editing experience.
- Deep understanding of and curiosity about competition for our customers’ time and money.
- Self-motivation and self-direction.
- Advanced knowledge of social media and how to engage fan base on digital platforms in the public space.
- Shoots photos and videos with nearly every story and handles basic editing of both.
- Effective communicator who is able to work with diverse personalities.
- Able to multi-task and excel under intense deadline pressure in a rapidly changing environment.
- Applies innovative, creative thinking to support the company’s goals.
- Standard writing, spelling, grammar, AP and local style knowledge of a professional journalist.
- Command of media law and principles of ethical conduct.
- This role requires a valid driver’s license, reliable transportation, and the minimum liability insurance required by state law.
We are eager to learn more about you and how you fit this role. When you apply, don’t limit your upload to a resume; show us what you’ve done. To do so, put together a single document file that includes the following, in this order: Your resume – one to two pages. A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job. Links to 3-6 online samples of your work. Show us what you’ve produced or had a hand in that best reflects what you can do in your desired role.
It is important that these items be assembled into a single document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration.
Here’s what we have to offer:
We offer a competitive base salary and career growth opportunities. We also offer you a comprehensive benefits package which includes medical, dental, vision, life insurance, short-term disability, long-term disability, Paid Time Off, Company Paid Holidays, employee discount program and domestic partner benefits. Our 401(k) is topnotch and the contributions you make, up to the first 5% are eligible for a 100% Company match! Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation, or veteran status. Other details
Location/Region: Shreveport, LA