The CAPS Managing Therapist is part of the Tulane University Campus Health team of committed professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting student health and well being as a core institutional value through a multidisciplinary, comprehensive approach. This Managing Therapist position resides within the CAPS for Counseling Services Department and reports to the CAPS Director. The individual in this role collaborates closely with the Director and Associate Director in ensuring the availability of high-quality clinical services for Tulane students, represents CAPS in the University community, and may assume responsibility for CAPS in the absence of the Director and Associate Director.
The Managing Therapist is responsible for supervising a team of clinicians and participates in providing services to Tulane students seeking assistance from the CAPS Uptown clinic. The Managing Therapist conducts and supervises direct clinical services, including short-term individual therapy, group therapy and workshops, crisis response, outreach activities, community referrals, and consultations, along with working with staff in maintaining a consistently high standard of care. This position serves on the CAPS Senior Leadership Team, assisting with the development and oversight of policies and procedures, as well as contributing to the ongoing stewardship of operations and staff meetings, trainings and other activities.
Located in the unique and iconic city of New Orleans, Tulane is a highly regarded and selective independent research university, a member of the prestigious Association of American Universities (AAU), and offers undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees in the liberal arts, science and engineering, architecture, business, law, social work, medicine, and public health. Tulane University Campus Health is fully accredited by the Accreditation Association for Ambulatory Health Care (AAAHC) and serves a student body of over 14,000.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Ability to protect confidentiality and meet all ethical standards associated with the practice of psychology within a university counseling center context.
- Strong case formulation, assessment and treatment skills, including the ability to understand transference and counter-transference in working clinically with a diversity of clients, issues and levels of impairment.
- Outstanding oral and written communication skills, able to dialogue effectively with a wide range of students, faculty and staff.
- Ability to effectively utilize an electronic medical records system.
- Ability to take the lead when appropriate, both administratively and clinically.
- Ability to collaborate collegially with a multidisciplinary staff, both within CAPS and throughout the University community.
- Knowledge of developmental trends and concerns of undergraduates, as well as graduate and professional students.
- Ability to engage in an ongoing pursuit of self-knowledge and understanding of own personal factors affecting clinical work
Required Education and/or Experience
- Masters Degree in Social Work or Professional Counseling and current State of Louisiana LCSW or LPC licensure
- Three years post-licensure clinical experience.
- Clinical supervision experience
- Leadership experience within a mental health organization
- Experience working with students in a university counseling setting.
- Previous administrative and leadership experience in a university counseling center.
- Ability to manage complex crises and/or clinical situations and to provide related supervision, training, and consultation to a large multidisciplinary staff and faculty.
- Doctorate in clinical or counseling psychology and licensed to practice psychology in the State of Louisiana or eligible by date of hire to obtain Louisiana licensure, including having previously passed the EPPP exam and completing postdoctoral clinical hours. Must be licensed in Louisiana within six months of hire date.
Compensation Information This position is assigned to pay grade P4.27. Tulane offers a variety of options to enhance your health and well-being so that you may enjoy more out of life now and in the future. Learn more about Life at Tulane as well as our Benefits and Pay. See our Candidate Resources to learn more about our hiring process and what to expect.
Location/Region: New Orleans, LA